sobota 26. května 2007

Bill Bryson ve Skotsku

Má oblíbená pasáž z knihy Billa Brysona Notes from a Small Island (Black Swan 1996). Autor na své cestě po Velké Británii dorazí do Glasgow, kde si chce dát pivo ...

Eventually I noticed one of the men at the bar eyeing me.
"Hae ya nae hook ma dooky?" he said.
"I'm sorry?" I replied.
"He'll nay be doon a mooning." He hoiked his head in the direction of a back room.
"Oh, ah," I said and nodded sagely, as if that explained it.
I noticed that they were both still looking at me.
"D'ye hae a hoo and a poo?" said the first man to me.
"I'm sorry?" I said.
"D'ye hae a hoo and a poo?" he repeated. It appeared that he was a trifle intoxicated.
I gave a small apologetic smile and explained that I came from the English-speaking world.
"D'ye nae hae in May?" the man went on. "If ye dinna dock ma donny."
"Doon in Troon they croon in June," said his mate, then added: "Wi' a spoon."
"Oh, ah." I nodded thoughtfully again, pushing my lower lip out slightly, as if it was all very nearly clear to me now.

A ještě přidám "Glasgow joke" z téže knihy:

A policeman collars a thief at the corner of Sauchiehall and Dalhousie, then drags him by the hair for a hundred yards to Rose Street to book him.
"Oi, why'd 'ye do tha?" asks the aggrieved culprit, rubbing his head.
"Because I can spell Rose Street, ye thieving cunt," says the policeman.



Žádné komentáře: